Written by Melissa Viera
Peanut Butter and puppies used to go together like peanut butter and jelly. Peanut butter is a sticky, stinky, and yummy treat to most dogs making it great for stuffing in toys, and smearing on spoons and target sticks for training.
Generally, a small bit of peanut butter is a safe treat for dogs when given occasionally unless they have an allergy or sensitivity to it, but recently it has been brought to the attnetion of dog owners that a growing number of companies have been using an ingredient in their peanut butter that is not only dangerous but deadly to dogs.
If you are a dog lover you have probably seen the posts circulating social media about the dangers of peanut butter for dogs. It is important to know what to look for, so you know which foods and products contain this dangerous ingredient. The ingredient is xylitol, a sugar substitute found in many foods and products including some peanut butter brands, mints, gum, and more.
If you wish to still give your dog peanut butter, check the label before doing so. There are also other dog-safe substitutes on the market. Not all peanut butter is dangerous, but knowing which ones are can save a life.
To learn more read this article by Jason Nicholas
Please share this information with other dog families to spread the word about xylitol.